Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Red Sauce Enchiladas


I usually make the standard yummy white chicken enchiladas, but I found this recipe that my friend gave me in college and decided to give it another try. I'm writing the recipe with the alterations I made, which I thought tasted great. By the way, I don't usually care for corn tortillas, but I think they work with the red sauce. I'm sure flour could work well too though.



1 lb. hamburger

1 8-oz. pkg cream cheese

1/2-1 packet of taco seasoning

corn tortillas

grated cheese

2 small cans of tomato paste

1 can of green/mild enchilada sauce

1 medium chopped onion (red/white)

2 T cilantro leaves

2 T chili powder

chopped green onions (opt.)

sliced olives (opt.)


Brown hamburger. Once fully cooked, pour 1/2-1 (depending on preference) packet of taco seasoning and package of cream cheese in with the hamburger. Cook on low until mixed together into a sort of thick paste.


Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, mix together the tomato pastes, enchilada sauce, onion, cilantro, and chili powder.


Pour a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Fill each corn tortilla shell with scoops of hamburger mix and top with cheese before rolling and placing (seam down) in the pan. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and top with green onions, olives and remainder of cheese. Bake covered 350 degrees for 30 minutes and uncovered for another 5-10 or until cheese is thoroughly melted.


You can serve the enchiladas with sliced avocados, sour cream, and salsa for an especially festive and delicious flair.

1 comment:

Danielle and Derek said...

I will certainly try this recipe. It's similar to the one I make with chicken, but substituting hamburger sounds intriguing. Cream cheese, green onions, and red sauce make "top enchiladas", in my opinion. Your food presentation photos are lovely, by the way.